Yoga helps improve your flexibility, strength and mobility but there are many other great reasons to roll out your mat. Here are some of the other benefits of a regular yoga practice.
1) Helps boost immunity - yoga calms the nervous system and helps reduce inflammation in the body.
2) Helps with food cravings - yoga teaches you mindfulness to develop mindful eating and healthy eating habits.
3) Headaches and migraines - yoga can stimulate the vagus nerve which can reduce migraine intensity.
4) Helps reduce stress - studies show that a regular yoga practice can help ease stress and lower your levels of the stress hormone cortisol.
5) Relieves anxiety - yoga teaches you how to be present and 'in the moment' to let go of the past and not worry about the future.
7) Reduce chronic pain - yoga can help build strength and improve physical functioning in the body, relieving pain in some medical conditions.
8) Helps you get to sleep - relaxation and meditation enhance sleep quality.
9) Improves your posture - regular yoga practice will help you develop better posture by stretching the muscles around the chest and shoulders and being aware of spinal alignment.
10) Boosts your energy and mood - yoga encourages you to move with your breath which is a great way of stimulating the energy channels in the body.
11) Breathe deeper - yoga encourages you to breathe with your lower belly which helps you stay calm and focus the mind.