The hidden benefits of yoga...
Yoga helps improve your flexibility, strength and mobility but there are many other great reasons to roll out your mat. Here are some of the other benefits of a regular yoga practice.
1) Helps boost immunity - yoga calms the nervous system and helps reduce inflammation in the body.
2) Helps with food cravings - yoga teaches you mindfulness to develop mindful eating and healthy eating habits.
3) Headaches and migraines - yoga can stimulate the vagus nerve which can reduce migraine intensity.
4) Helps reduce stress - studies show that a regular yoga practice can help ease stress and lower your levels of the stress hormone cortisol.
5) Relieves anxiety - yoga teaches you how to be present and 'in the moment' to let go of the past and not worry about the future.
7) Reduce chronic pain - yoga can help build strength and improve physical functioning in the body, relieving pain in some medical conditions.
8) Helps you get to sleep - relaxation and meditation enhance sleep quality.
9) Improves your posture - regular yoga practice will help you develop better posture by stretching the muscles around the chest and shoulders and being aware of spinal alignment.
10) Boosts your energy and mood - yoga encourages you to move with your breath which is a great way of stimulating the energy channels in the body.
11) Breathe deeper - yoga encourages you to breathe with your lower belly which helps you stay calm and focus the mind.